Letters and Opinions

These are opinion pieces that I have had published in a variety of newspapers and magazines. I have been writing letters-to-the-editor since 2006, and have had over 160 published since then. I also play guitar and sing in a musical revue called The Loser's Lounge. With a cast of guest singers, we perform tributes to great songwriters and bands. The show is in its 24th year, and we perform at Joe's Pub - The Public Theater and Lincoln Center in New York City.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010


I hadn't been aware of Casey Johnson until I saw the headlines announcing her death. When I read of the Johnson & Johnson heiress's love for dogs, and that she had left college and a job because she was not allowed to keep dogs, I had a vision of her that I thought would make a good letter (and allow me to pay a secret homage to Albert Payson Terhune). The Daily News published it as their lead letter on January 10, 2010 under a somewhat sarcastic headline. I just wanted to say something about love.
*****
"It is significant that Casey Johnson had an obsession with her dogs. She probably felt they were the only close companions she could be sure were devoted to her alone and not her wealth. I think it reveals something basic about humans that cannot be assuaged by money or social stature. We need to be loved for who we are."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What was it you once said ... "We're not equal in our abilities; not everyone is going to be an Einstein or a Mozart. But we're all equal in terms of our emotions."

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home