Letters and Opinions

These are opinion pieces that I have had published in a variety of newspapers and magazines. I have been writing letters-to-the-editor since 2006, and have had over 160 published since then. I also play guitar and sing in a musical revue called The Loser's Lounge. With a cast of guest singers, we perform tributes to great songwriters and bands. The show is in its 24th year, and we perform at Joe's Pub - The Public Theater and Lincoln Center in New York City.

Thursday, February 26, 2009



Metro published my response on February 25, 2009 to a letter printed the previous day. The author of that letter, Jeff Stone, is a co-chair of the Greater Boston Civil Rights Coalition. He contacted me via email - " Thanks for adding this good point to the conversation. You promoted civil, productive dialogue by commenting on my letter without trashing it. We can set an example of good discussion, even on the pages of Metro!"

Re Jeff Stone's letter (Metro 2/24) examining AG Eric Holder's remarks concerning race dialogue in America. Mr. Stone was hoping for more of a road map from Holder and recommended skilled facilitators to help guide productive race discussions. However, the core of Holder's message was that the social worlds of blacks and whites have remained largely segregated even as we have seen great advances in civil rights legislation and integrated workplaces. While race discourse can be thorny, friends may not need the aid of professionals to talk, listen and learn from each other. Gaining awareness through social interaction is the challenge AG Holder has placed before the country.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Pryor said...

David, I never had a black friend till I was 18. He was the guard who blocked for me. We played football together in the Bronx for the Warriors in Pelham. Steve and I had a great time together getting the crap kicked out of each other, then giving it right back. Our socialization, and my freindship with other blacks on the team dug into my weak understanding and ignorant fears, completely changed my reaction to future black friends and colleagues. Luckily, I have many, great observation. Tommy

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home